Translate

Friday, March 13, 2015

A year ago ...

A year later I find myself reflecting. So much has happened since March 2014.

Last year in March, I found myself and my family in DisneyWorld. Enjoying a much needed roadtrip, warm beaches, and the excitement to see Disney again through the eyes of my children. At the same time, while surfing the web on those nights at the hotel, I remember finding out about HSCT. Hematopoietic Stem Cell Treatment ... were the magic words. I think I made my mind about following this path, right there, right then. But you can't make those decisions while on a busy vacation. I needed time to read the vast amount of information about it.

So I just prayed my legs would take the trip, the everlasting walk through the parks, waiting in line for the rides .. oh how I welcomed when my then 3 year old would fall asleep and I just had to wait for the others .. lol. We made it, I made it. They all loved it and dreaded the long drive back. More importantly, the car also made it. Good memories.

Anyway .. after being denied to get the treatment in Ottawa, Canada. Their reasons being 'you're too well for this'. I kept looking and decided to apply to go to Moscow. Where in a couple of days Dr. Fedorenko, personally, wrote me an email back, saying he would be delighted to help me. I was accepted. I'm going to Russia.

If you are Chilean like me, we're always prepared to hear the worse news. That something, for some reason or another, isn't going to work. Whatever that 'it' is. Another earthquake, another volcano just erupted, our newly elected President keeps screwing it up, now through her son, our pollution is really bad, we need rain to clean the air, etc. There's always something. So, this whole year, I kept waiting for something to happen. Something isn't going to work, my trip to Russia isn't going to happen. It looks too promising, it can't just happen, can it ?



Volcan Villarrica, picture taken from Pucon. March, 2015

Well ... nothing has happened to stop my trip. The opposite. Things have happened that have gotten me closer to Russia. Small things and big ones. 

I have the support of my immediate family. My husband and children are excited, and have supported me each day. They are dreading the goodbye, just like I am, but we're trying to focus on my return. One of my girls has big plans for me when I get better. She thinks Mama will be able to go skating with her, or down our trail to the river. I say, don't ever dream small my dear .. you never know. Bless her. 

I also have the complete support of family and friends down in Chile. My Dad, my brothers, my dear cousin and close friends. I've even been contacted by old friends that have become closer and main supporters too. Amazing how the internet can help to bring us all closer. Thank you for sharing my journey.

In Canada, I have to thank first of all my mother and father-in-law. Without their financial help, I wouldn't be able to go to Russia. They've also taught me to be patient, when I have to explain what HSCT is about ... every time they call .. hehee. Jokes aside, they are great and they've made this dream possible. To my husband's brothers and their families, thank you, from the bottom of my heart. Thank you for all the work you've been doing behind the cameras even though you're also going through your own things. To my husband's sisters, thank you for contacting my children's school and making 'MS wear red Day' happen. Much appreciated. And thank you for the book about 'happy tears' .. I will be bringing it to read while in Moscow.



Tim, Sheila & Brooke while on vacation in Barbados.

I have to thank also many others that have helped. My friend Lisa who keeps my brain working with translations for her Greenhouse. My neighbour Julie for her initiative to organize a hot chocolate sale while on Christmas season. To all my other lovely neighbours that came to a party a couple of weeks ago. Your support and love is very much appreciated. Some of my husbands co-workers and friends have shown support too, to which I'm really thankful. To my family doctor, Dr. S. Thanks for your well wishes, your interest and your support. It means the world to me. To the Rotary Club in Bowmanville, Thank you !!

I feel the love !!

I also have to give a shout out to Petunia Face. Lovely, funny and hilarious lady which kept me busy reading her very accomplished blog through the month of February. When I started reading it I had no idea we would end up having the same HSCT journey. I laughed out loud, cried and enjoyed all the pictures. I wish you the best in your journey and I'm still star struck when I read your comment on my blog today .. lol. Now I have to get used to having to wait for her to publish a new entry on her blog, but I'm getting better at it.

This week I will focus on enjoying my family, my children, cuddles, their hugs and kisses. Get my last very important provisions for the trip (m&m's, granola bars, instant coffee, adult diapers .. hahaha) and preparing for the journey that will change my life. I cannot wait. 

Take care !!

9 more days to step into that plane ...

:)






2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that everything is going well for you. I can't wait to read your blog posts from Russia!
    Isn't out a sad state that we have to travel out of country to get well again.

    I'm just starting my journey to have HSCT done and while you were to ' well ' to have it done in Ottawa, I'm afraid that I will be too sick. I've also been in contact with Russia and will go there as well if Ottawa won't take me.

    Safe journey my HSCT/MS comrade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to be of any help in your quest Trudy !! Yes, very frustrating we don't get HSCT at home. Maybe in 10 years, who knows. All the best !!

      Delete