Translate

Sunday, March 29, 2015

First week in Moscow ...

I'm finally here !!

I made it. I met my brother. I have toured a bit. I'm admitted at the Hospital. I've had good results in every test. I was officially told I could start treatment. Today is my day 2.

But let me start from the beginning.

Leaving my children and husband has been the worst, saddest thing I've ever done. In a long time at least. I felt torn. In the end I just wanted to get out of the house, quickly, like getting a band-aid out. And that's how I left. So quickly that I forgot my scarf, and then I had to go back for my gloves ... Lol.

At the airport I had a bit of time to kill, so I took pictures of the lobby, of the plane. Toyed with the idea of buying something to eat (should have done that, now that I'm thinking about it). So I sat down, start playing games in my ipad, and then I remember ... shit.

Let me capitalize that.

Shit !!

My friends, I forgot to bring my prescription glasses. You may think it's not that bad. But let me tell you, for someone as blind as I am, it is bad. Of course I also forgot to bring two extra contact lenses
in case anything happens to the ones I'm wearing. But right then, right there I realized I'd have to wing it. And at that, I'm great. So I'm still winging it. Taking care of these babies in my eyes like nobody else's business. The only problem I've had was when I was having my eye test and I had to walk tunnels and tunnels wthout being able to see people's eyes. Svierta (sp), the nurse, so sweet offered me to hold her arm ... lol. When I got there, the Optetrician asks me to read the letters on the wall ... hahahha ... Suuure. Anyway. Checked. Have already a plan for all the staff to forget I use contacts so I can sneak them into Isolation. Nobody tells please !!

After that first blow, nothing can be worse really. The plane ride was fine. Food was delicious not. But their bread !! Oh boy, if you ever fly KLM please ask for two buns at least !! Fresh and crunchy ... Mmm. Quick stop in Amsterdam. I loved the fact they sell fresh tulips at the airport. I'm craving flowers after our long Canadian winter. I was waiting to board the plane to Moscow and there was a
mother with a screaming little boy. And I mean screaming, tantruming (is that a word ?) on the floor
and I became one of the others. Yes, the others, that whenever I've travelled with my children, think Oh God, not beside me please. At least mine are mostly happy to go anywhere. Anyway, I found myself hoping to be seated faraway from them. And I was. As a matter of fact, the poor boy must have been exhausted cause I didn't hear him at all.





Three hours later I made it to Moscow. Had booked the wheelchair service .. yes, I could have walked it. But I was told doing it that way nobody asks you questions and it's fast. So I did. No shame in that. The man that was pushing my chair took no prisoners and rushed me in front of everyone for the customs line (yes, I did feel a bit bad about this, but what the heck!). The lady barely looked at my face to confirm it matched my passport's. Off we went to get the bag. And off to find my driver waiting with a big smile, Alexei.

I was thinking I would see mainly Ladas on the road, such is the poor knowledge I had from Moscow. Did not see one. Lots of cars, they drive agressively, but this is a big city and that's how you have to drive. Made it to the Hotel, met my brother that was waiting for me. He gave me a bag with goodies from Chile and I realized my favourite chocolate with almonds wasn't there. The, at least 10 bars of
chocolate I was counting with,  weren't there !! Lucky he's my brother. We went out to dinner to an Italian restaurant that night. We got into  the restaurant and a KGB type looking guy is requesting something in Russian from us. We looked at each other ... oh, ok, he wants our jackets and he gets lost in a room, and took the longest time. This might be it, I think, never made it to the Hospital. They are making  us dissapear already ... hahaha.  Food was great, could have had a second serving  (maybe I should have thinking in retrospective).

The next day we toured through a nearby market and gor some souvenirs. Laughed when I saw most of them sell t-shirts or mugs with a bare chested President (for some reason I don't want to write his name, pUtIn ... You know).













Then it was off to the Hospital. Got to meet Anastasia, Dr. Fedorenko's lovely assistant. Met the Doctor in person when I got to my floor. Big smile, to which I quickly got used to and I see every
morning when  he comes to say hi. Vey impressed with the staff. Full of smiles, even though most nurses don't speak the language, we understand each other. They are lovely. You can breath good spirit. I got to meet the other two patients that will go through the treatment at the same time than me. And I find there's an instant bond between us. I feel very blessed.

The next two days started early. Had a total of 10 tests the first day. Including x-rays, several sonograms (heart, stomach, legs, etc), MRI, eye test, swabs everywhere, blood tests, etc.  All very thorough. Then I had my meeting with Dr. F. when he officially told me I could start treatment if I agreed ... duh !! Of course, yes, please !!

Afternoon off.

So we went on a tour through downtown Moscow with my brother and Steve (fellow patient). What can I say, even the subway stations are massive. Beautiful, enormous, sense of greatness (too much maybe ?). I may sound a bit envious of such history. The buildings are massive ! The Red Square is MASSIVE !! The Kremlin, Saint Basil's Cathedral ... WOW !! Everything beautifully restored. We took a tour bus that drove us through the main areas and buildings and I was trying to close my mouth because I was in awe.










We got back after 8 pm  that night. I was exhausted. My legs hurt, but it was all worth it.

The next day, yesterday, I officially started the treatment.

And I'm hopeful. How can you not, when you're told you have a 100% chance of halting your MS. I repeat, he gave me a 100%. I'm just going to be happy with a 90%. I'm Chilean .. Nothing can be that good ... lol.

Can't believe a week has passed already, days are flying by. One week into Russia. I've met beautiful people, a doctor that wants to heal you, Anastasia that is always giving you a smile and always helpful. Fellow patients that I know will always have a special place in my heart.  Staff that are there for you. Even the food isn't that bad anymore. Now I get why former patients get so obsessed with the food, there's not much else. I carry a food log of what we get every day. And I rank it. After a week I find myself looking forward to porridge every morning ... hahahaa. I'm serious, I'm cleaning those plates so well  they won't even need to wash them.

Take care everyone, and eat your morning porridge !!

:)














2 comments:

  1. I am so envious of you right now but my turn wl il come. I just got told that I've been accepted for a interview to see Dr Freedman in Ottawa. I don't have a date yet but I will start bugging them this week for an appointment. I've already sent my info to Russia and they are willing to see me outside the waitlist. One way or another I'll get there.

    Keeping fingers crossed that everything goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, sorry hun. Try not to be envious but happy. Your time will come. You are informed now, you know you want to pursue this, and you will do it. You are doing everything you can. Great they accepted you in Russia. I'd recommend this place with blind eyes. And good luck with your pursue of getting into Ottawa. I was rejected so quickly it wasn't funny. Glad I didn't waste my time going for the interview. But it's been a year and some things may have changed over there. All the best to you ! :)

    ReplyDelete